Wednesday, June 24, 2009

The Longest Three Miles

How is it that three miles can feel SO hard, so long, so UPHILL, so are-you-kidding-me-with-this-huffing-and-puffing, and so darn sweaty when the first 15 miles of a marathon seemed so easy?

We ran 29 minutes last night, 2.9 miles. My feet had swollen two sizes by the time we were done. And somehow, I managed to sweat away every last bit of hydration I have taken in since the marathon.

H-Bomb ran with us. He actually ran ahead of us, behind us, around us, up hills next to us, further than us, and still managed to beat us to the end. It's good to be 14.

He just told me he wants to do a marathon with me next year. He wants to qualify for Boston. It almost brought a tear to my eye, but I had no body fluid left.

I think he can qualify for Boston if he sticks to his training. Even if he wants to qualify just for the trip.

I love my son.

2 comments:

  1. So excited that you completed your first marathon. Great accomplishment. Now - enjoy, take it easy, be careful. This is the time that many people get injured.

    ReplyDelete
  2. cool. I have two sons - one's 13 and one almost 11. They don't generally run with me, altough the 13 year old has a lot of potential.

    ReplyDelete